Thursday, January 19, 2006

Gerber Daisies


Through the kindest of gestures I have flowers in my house again. This is the first time since summer that I have had flowers on the table. I guess it was time! I have always liked the sturdy and large blossoms of Gerber Daisies. So as I was looking around the house tonight I thought, "Oh now! That there would make a fine painting." (I don't really think to myself in a North Dakota accent but...)

As it turns out, I forgot that I don’t enjoy painting flowers all that much. It needs to be stated that there are other factors of frustration. What is left of my last crappy brush is a short stock of crispy-hard bristles that do more shoveling than spreading of paint. You could honestly say that tonight’s painting was done with a chopstick. I have a hard enough time eating slippery Chinese food with chopsticks! I should have never tried to render the delicacy of silk-like semi-translucent petals with that balsa-like brush. Technically I painted as much with the handle as with what is left of the bristles. Tonight I also tried a more plodding and deliberate approach which is quite unlike my normal disposition. Learn and learn I guess…

Complaining aside, these are beautiful flowers – especially in the middle of January. I hope they last another week!

Dream well,

Daniel

p.s. thanks again.

No comments: